Reading Notes: Ramayana Part B


Kabandha.

After completing the whole part b of the Ramayana readings there was one short story that seemed to stick out to me the most. The story that stood out to me the most and gave me the most inspiration in creating my own story is Kabandha.


  • The monster that Rama and Lakshamana meet is helpful in informing them about Sita. 
  • There is a lesson to be learned in this story which is important. 
  • The demon asked to be burned to be rid of his rakshasa nature. 

I like this story because it took something bad such as a demon and showed that it had a heart and it wanted to change as well. The demon in this story promised to share valuable information with the two men after they had freed him in a way. This showed that the demon was not there to only feast upon human flesh and was interested in actually helping the two princes. The princes did something for the demon so that the demon would do something in return for them. I think that this story speaks a lot about compromise and shows that two opposing parties can work together and compromise to achieve to outcomes that they each see important. 

This story had me thinking about ideas for my own type of story. I definitely have wanted to incorporate my animals throughout the semester as I did with my Week 1 story. When I think of times of compromise and animals I think about the time when we were waiting for the arrival of Waffle our corgi puppy. In my story the woman whom we got Waffle from would be the demon of sorts, though she is nothing close to a demon and is simply amazing. Where as my mother and I would be the two princes who are seeking information from the demon. My story would be roughly based on things that did happen in the months before my family was able to take Waffle home. I am hoping that I can incorporate these elements from the Ramayana readings into a story of my own. I read the PDE Ramayana by multiple authors, that was offered to us online.

Comments

  1. I enjoyed reading your version of this story, Maddie! You really put a lot of thought into making sure the lessons from the original story were included with your own twist. I like that you took a simple concept, and made a lesson from it. Waffle is also very adorable. Your usage of suspense in the story kept me excited to see what would happen. I’m glad you posted a picture of Waffle because I would’ve wanted a picture to see of the infamous Waffle.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts