Storytelling Week 2: The Arrival of Waffle

The infamous Waffle after all our waiting for her (Photo by Me).

For as long as I could remember my little brother had been begging and begging for my parents to get him a corgi puppy. He had never really asked for much throughout his life but this was the one thing that he would not let go. Mind you when I say little brother, he was fifteen turning sixteen at the time of the begging for another puppy to be added to the family. He had gotten so good at the begging game that he would send my parents subliminal messages; pictures of corgis, videos of cute corgi puppies playing, shirts that had pictures of corgis on them and even asked for socks that had corgis on them as well. He had officially started the guilt trip on my parents who would do anything to make us happy even if that had meant adding another pet to our already zoo of a household.

As all of this mind trickery was going on or at least that is what my brother thought, my sneaky parents had a plan of their own that they had waited three months to fill me in on. Since my brother would not be getting his first car at sixteen because he could not drive to school my parents had a huge surprise that they had been thinking about for months. When my mom finally filled me in on all the details of their plan I was just as shocked as I knew my brother would be. She had searched up, down, left, right and all around the neighboring states of Texas to find the best and most family friendly corgi breeder there was. I was shocked at just how much time she spent digging around and running through the forest of the internet to find the right one.

After my parents had settled on a breeder and paid the initial fees we were asked if we had a preference on gender of the puppy. My mom had specified that she wanted a girl puppy so we waited and waited for the news of our families biggest surprise to be born in May, almost six weeks on the dot before my brothers birthday. When may rolled around my mom finally got in touch with the breeder again who had some very important information to relay to us that my mom knew would not sit well with me. We were told that not enough girl puppies had been born so we would have to wait until August for our little fur-ball to arrive. Imagine my heart breaking on the inside hearing that I would not get to be there for the biggest surprise and exciting new addition to our family. In my frustration I had blamed our breeder because she was the easiest person to blame. It really had nothing to do with her though she was just the unlucky one who had to relay the information back to us that the wait continued. So we devised that we would have the first pick of all the little girl corgis born to the next litter in August. Compromise was necessary because no way was my mom bringing home a boy puppy and in no way did I want to wait. But sometimes for conflicts or challenging times to be resolved compromise has to happen to keep both parities happy. So the waiting continued and the arrival of the Owen families biggest surprise was still my secret to keep from my little brother..

This story is an exaggerated version of real life events.

Authors note; the original story stemmed from the meeting that two princes from the Ramayana had with a demon in the woods on the search for Sita, one of the princes wives. This story was about conflict resolution, problem solving and compromise which are all things that happened in my story as well. Though the nice woman who we got our puppy from was no where close to a demon she was the person who caused the conflict in my story. 

I read the PDE Ramayana by multiple authors, the story Kabandha, that was offered to us online.

Comments

  1. You tied a real life story into this assignment which I thought was great. When I found out that the breeder did not have enough female pups my eyebrows raised in shock. Good thing your mom was able to compromise with her and a plan for the next litter. The only question that still remains with me is, "How surprised would your brother have been if everything went to plan and he actually got the puppy around his birthday?" I know how wild my sister was at Christmas when she got the gift she had been begging for. I couldn't imagine how wild she would have been if she had been begging for a specific breed of dog then get it about 4 months later. (wild = screaming in excitement)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really love that you’re staying true to your theme throughout these stories. It gives the reader a chance to get to know the characters better and that can be a lot of fun. I also think it’s great that you were able to reconcile two fairly different stories in a way that tells us a lot about your perspective on that story of the Ramayana with a story that tells us more about your life. Well written story. I really enjoyed it. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts