Growth Mindset

This cat is the definition of growth mindset (Photo by GrowthMindsetMemes).

I had never heard of Carol Dweck or the growth mindset before this assignment. I watched the videos that were linked to learn more about the growth mindset. I thought the idea of fixed mindset was extremely interesting. I definitely find myself in a fixed mindset when it comes to my school work as opposed to having a growth mindset. To help me learn more about my mindset I took a quiz that had a few simple questions to help me see where my mindset actually is.  My quiz said that I can get discouraged when I perform poorly at a certain task. That statement stood out to me because I definitely do feel defeated when I do not perform to my best a certain tasks.

I have learned more than I ever thought I would about myself during my time at OU. Some of my biggest challenges as I set out to learn new things is that I struggle with extreme change. I am very A type and am set in my ways. Therefore allowing change to happen in order for me to learn is something I have struggled with. Growth mindset is definitely an interesting topic and is something that I would be interested in learning more about throughout this semester. There is no better time than the new year to learn about changing your mindsets.

One class that I am extremely excited about is my digital design class. I will get to perfect my skills in digital design and I have the opportunity to learn more about working in Adobe Creative Suite.

Comments

  1. I am very type A as well, it may be a Madd(ie)y thing! haha I struggle with similar things. When I perform poorly at a task I usually do one of two things 1) keep persevering until I figure it out 2) contact someone I know that knows how to do whatever I need help with. It's a fine line between not getting defeated and pushing through, but also realizing that we can't do everything and need to seek help/advice from others. I told myself that as long as they also teach me the right way to do the task, that I don't feel bad for asking for the help!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Maddie,
    It is so interesting to read about you perspectives about Growth Mindset! I can relate to your feelings toward change. However, I do find myself wanting to try new things. It is really cool that you are getting to work and know more about Adobe Creative Suite! I wish I had the time to sit down and really get to know more about those programs, while it is not required of my major or anything, it is an interest I do have. I hope that class is going well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi again Maddie. I can relate to you on dealing with change. Change can be overwhelming for me at times because I like structure and having an agenda at all times. Haha. However, change is a good thing, and lets us grow in all sorts of areas. I’m excited to see your progress, and look forward to seeing that progress in our class. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts