Reading Notes: The Giant Crab and Other Tales from Old India

Beaky, Tweaky and Their Owner (Image Source).

The story that I chose to read for part one of this week comes from The Giant Crab and Other Tales from Old India. The specific story that I chose to read is The Wise Parrot and the Foolish Parrot. I thought that the title sounded interesting and I am slowly but surely making my way through all the tales in this book.

  • The wise man would talk and make jokes with his parrots when no one was around. I like how the story noted that his parents could talk very well and even understood the conversation. 
  • The names of his parrots were Beaky and Tweaky, which I think is absolutely hilarious. They made me laugh when I first read them. They are so basic and I love that they go together. 
  • He put the parrots in charge of watching over his stealer maid servant. Which why would you ever put the birds in charge if you knew someone was most likely going to steal from you. That always confused me just a little bit. 
  • Beaky of course caught the maid and I thought that it was so funny that she did not realize that it was the parrot who was calling her out for being bad and breaking the rules of the master.
  • The maid plucked all of Beaky's feathers after luring him over to her with a piece of sugar. I did not like reading this part of the story. No animal should ever be tortured, especially in a children's story. 
  • The terrible woman blamed it all on Beaky and I hate that he was so ashamed of himself for falling for her tricks. 
  • Tweaky made fun of Beaky and picked on him for never having feathers. I hate that Beaky who was just a little naive fell to these tricks and was so embarrassed for simply being fooled by a terrible woman. He had made an innocent mistake. 

Comments

Popular Posts