Reading Notes: The Giant Grab and Other Tales from Old India

Here is one of my cheeky cats (Image Source Me).

The story that I chose to read for part two of this week comes from The Giant Crab and Other Tales from Old India. I chose the Hypocritical Cat, because I love a good story about a cat and was drawn to the title of this story.

  • First of I automatically love this story because it is about cats and cats are my favorite animal. I have had cats my whole life so I thought I might be able to relate to this story easily. 
  • I found it interesting that the cat told the rats that she feeds on only air, she never actually eats anything. This is unusual to me and something that kept me interested in continuing the story. 
  • The cat worships the sun, which is a large part of stories throughout the history of India. I think that this is important to note the traditional elements from Indian storytelling. If I write a story about this certain story I think I will most definitely include this element because I like that the cat worships the sun. 
  • The rats somehow respected the, I was so confused by this element because cats and rats are supposed to be enemies in life not respectful of one another. 
  • The cats cheeky plan had begun to work which I thought was so genius because cats are always so mischievous and sneaky, you never really know what they are going to do. 
  • I do not really like that the story ended with the rats getting revenge by eating the cat... I thought that was a little bit dark and took it to a place that I wasn't expecting. I think I will definitely leave this ending out, or do an alternative ending to this story. I think alternate ending are super cool too!
  • I will most likely write my story for this week based on this story. 

Comments

Popular Posts