Story Planning Week 5: The Owen Animal Contest


Hershey, one of my animals who might have been in my story (Image by Me).

This week I decided to go a different route than my typical storytelling posts and thought I would do a story planning post this week. The story that I read this week that really stood out to me and inspired my following ideas is Mahabharata: The Contest. I just really resonated with this story so lets get onto my ideas for potential stories that I could write that are inspired by The Contest.


  • In sticking with my theme I have thought about incorporating stories about my dogs would some of the many dog spats that they get into. I think that I could use a spat between them and find inspiration from The Contest for my story this week. This would probably be about a time when we first brought home Waffle as a puppy and she was meeting Tootsie. Waffle was so full of energy and playful but Tootsie was still pretty unsure about who this new dog was in our house. They would wrestle and play with each other but sometimes Waffle would take the wrestling a little too far and Tootsie would have to put her in her place. 
  • If I wanted to incorporate the elements from the story where Arjun was able to strike every single target in the entire arena, I would probably use Waffle in this instance because she has insane fetching skills. I think I would write this part of the story about how Waffle was able to catch every single tennis ball that was thrown her way, because this is pretty much true anyways. 
  • In another twist of events I could write a story about my two cats who have also had their fair share of spatting. I might write a story about how Skittle our younger cat always picks on Hershey our older cat when he wants something. I could take this story in a more competition route though by having them compete in events that cats might compete in, like claw sharpening, treat eating, or laser pointer chasing. 
  • I also thought a lot about writing a story more centered around University Sing because I was apart of U-Sing and have fond memories of it. The premise behind University Sing if for the greek organizations to compete in a test of skills for a set of judges. Now this does not directly relate to a battle between two great warriors. But it does include a battle to the first place trophy that ever house on campus pines after during U-Sing time on campus. I think that this story could include details about the training that went into preparing for the battle and the story of the battle to the trophy. 
Authors Note:
The Contest is the story of two great warriors who compete in a battle type situation to show off the things that they had learned in training. I thought that this story had a lot of versatility when it came to my story planning for this week. 

Comments

  1. Maddie, I also really like doing the story planning. I think it really helps me get a decent grasp on the story for the upcoming week. I t would be interesting to bring in your animals into the story. I feel like animals really mix up a story even if it is so similar to the original. I think that your story planning looks good and I am interested to see how your story comes out next week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like a really fun story to read! I haven’t tried writing a story planning post at any point, but this one makes me think that I should possibly give it a try. I love how you are using the story we’re reading in class by taking a snapshot of something that has happened to you in your actual life. It’s a really great way of relating the lessons of the epic to everyday life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like your idea of including your pets into your stories!! This will make your stories a lot more personal. I also liked how your used this week's story planning to draw connections between things that you liked from the reading, and how you would incorporate your pets into the future story. The element of a competition between cats and dogs could be a great story. I feel like everyone knows that the two often don't get along and any pet owner that has a cat and dog would really be able to connect with the story. I look forward to reading it!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts