Reading Notes: The Princes of Elephant City Part A

The fight by the lake (Image Source).


I was excited to read an alternative version of the Mahabharata this week to get an idea of what a different take on this story looks like. I chose to read The Princes of Elephant City part A for my reading this week. I thought that the title sounding interesting so that is why I chose this version to read. The story that stuck out to me the most was King Dasharatha of Ayodhya . I thought that this is the story that I should take my reading notes over for this section of the reading.

  • I appreciated the attention to detail that this story had. It made the story seem extremely visual and gave me, the reader, an image to put in my head as I was reading. The characters were described in great detail and I liked how there was special emphasis placed on Rama. 
  • Rama has been an important character throughout the semester thus far so I was interested to read this take on his character. I thought the references to the moon were so great. Astrology is something that has always sparked my interest so the references to the sun god and to the moon really made me want to read more. 
  • There were tales told of the mighty kings, I thought that this was interesting to they told stories to one another in their time spent in the forest.
  • The attention to detail in this story was what really made it stand out and keep the reader interested. I definitely appreciate a good amount of description and this whole story was chalked full of descriptive words and writing elements. 
  • I would like to include the descriptiveness from this story in my future stories. 

Comments

  1. Hi Maddie, it sounds like you are reading the Ramayana part of the book instead of the Mahabharata part... so for Part B, read the Mahabharata part, at least the first part, okay? This is the link: Princes of Elephant City ... and there is a reading guide that goes with it here: Reading Guide: Part A.
    If you want to come back to the Ramayana part of this book, you can do that in the second half of the semester when the reading is all free choice, but the idea this week is to keep the focus on the Mahabharata for one more week. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi again, Maddie! I didn't realize this was already your second reading post for this week, so that's great: don't worry about reading the Mahabharata part of the Kincaid book like I said in the other comment here... just make sure that you do a Mahabharata story (based on the Part D notes in your other post)... since you did do some Mahabharata reading this week, you'll be able to do a Mahabharata story!

    Maybe you could even use that Mongoose story for your Storybook; it's a story that could be adapted about a cat or a dog, not just a mongoose, and that mongoose story is very much in the spirit of the jataka tales, using a story to teach a positive lesson.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts