Storytelling Week 4: The Crowning of King Hershey


King Hershey 11 years after his crowning (Photo by Me).

The joy and excitement was felt by everyone on October 22, 2004 because a new king was about to be crowned. After years of searching for a new king to rule the Owen household the right one was about to finally wear the crown and take the upmost powerful position in the house. Hershey was to be king on that special day. Though he was not like any other king he was beautiful, with snow white fur and chocolate colored ears and paws. His blue eyes shined on the day of his crowning, he was to be adorned with love and praise on this special day. The family brought him a shower of endless cat treats and catnip filled toys, it was every kittens dream.

What more could a king need but the perfect place for a king to sleep? This was when the idea of a castle fit for the most perfect siamese king came to light. It was red velvet and filled with the warmest blankets, the top of the box dawned his name King Hershey. This would be the box where the king would sleep for the next 12 years of his life ruling the roost of the Owen household.

Hershey is truly the king of all the other animals who have been brought into the Owen family over the years. He has his bluff in on the dogs who do respect him even though he is smaller than they are, but he is also respected by his fellow cat brother Skittle whose younger but knows his place in the family order.   Hershey continues to rule the Owen household today in Houston, Texas. He lives everyday like a king getting to sleep as long as he wants, eat as much as he wants and pick on the dogs whenever he likes. Hershey has been the king of the Owen family since the day he was brought home in Dubai and will remain the king of the Owen family for the rest of his life.

Authors Note
This week my story is a little bit different from my other stories that I have written. I really took a leap in a different direction from my inspiration. In the original Ramayana story Rama was finally crowned king after 14 years of waiting. The whole town was filled with joy on the day of Rama's crowning. He was showered with holy water that was only fit for a king. The story was filled with joy about the new ruler and discussed many different people and their love for their new king and ruler. The original story inspired me to write this story about the day my siamese kitten became the ruler of our household. I have not written any stories about my cats yet this semester and I thought this one was perfect. We truly do refer to him as King Hershey and he did have a red velvet box that said King Hershey on it.

I read the PDE Ramayana by multiple authors, that was offered to us online.

Comments


  1. Maddie, I absolutely LOVE this angle that you took with the story. I love animals, so of course, I think that this was a fabulous story. I wish I would have thought about writing about my own pet! I think that this is a great way to not only reiterate the stories of the Ramayana, but it’s also a great way to better understand them as you write. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Maddie,
    I absolutely loved this story! This perspective was very unique, kept true to the Ramayana story, and was very well written! It was also really nice to read about your thoughts going into this story within the Author's Note and coming to find out that you actually call your cat King Hershey! How funny! I think these types of leaps into storytelling are very hard, and I wish I had more confidence in completely revolutionizing the stories as you have done here. I will try to keep this style in mind as I go about this next week's storytelling post! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought this was such a sweet, fun story to read. I love the different style of writing you used where the descriptions of the central character serve as the story’s action. That isn’t typically an easy method of writing an interesting story, but you pulled it off wonderfully. I loved reading about the history of Hershey and some of the things that led to his dominion. This was a very fun to read and adorable story. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I noticed in your author's note that this was the first time you wrote about your cat. I appreciate that you were able to step out of your comfort zone and re-create such a detailed story about a king relevant to your kitten. You did very well implementing adjectives and details that really described King Hershey as royalty. It was almost as though I could imagine the kitten sitting next to me.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts