Reading Notes: Mahabharata Part A

This week I embarked on a new reading in my Epics of India class. I stuck with the same story pulling techniques that I had used in the reading of the Ramayana and chose to take notes about a shorter story from the readings that really stuck out to me and inspired me to write a story of my own. So the story that I chose for this weeks reading was the Mahabharata: The Contest.


  • I like this story because it is a display of skills in a tournament between two warriors who have trained hard to display their skills. I enjoyed the descriptiveness in this story. It was very regal in the storytelling.
  • There was a decent amount of dialogue among characters throughout this story as well. I have said before that I enjoy reading stories that incorporate dialogue. I find that dialogue makes the story easier to understand and easier to follow along with. I was able to comprehend this story of the two warriors much better than some stories that do not include any dialogue among characters. 
  • My favorite part of the whole story was when Arjun was able to strike every single target that were lining the arena. It was very showy and strong which I appreciated. I think that details like this is what makes the story so interesting.
  • In sticking with my theme I have thought about incorporating stories about my dogs would some of the many dog spats that they get into. I think that I could use a spat between them and find inspiration from The Contest for my story this week.
    Arjun who hit every target (Image Source).
     

Comments

Popular Posts