Storytelling Week 3: Tootsie and Waffle

The recreation of Sugriva and Hanuman in the form of Tootsie and Waffle (Photo by Me).

Tootsie and Waffle noticed a sound coming through the woods, it was fast approaching and they had to act fast if they were going to change their appearance to disguise themselves. Tootsie encouraged Waffle to change shape to see what the strangers who were lurking in the woods were after. Waffle quickly shifted shapes and took on the form of a human, her look was rugged. The shape took looked as though she had resided in the woods for a while.

As the two strangers quickly approached Waffle, she greeted them warily and asked them what it was that they were after in the dark woods. The strangers did not great Waffle with the same warm welcome she had greeted them with, they did not say anything to her at all. In that moment she felt it was best to explain to them exactly who she was, Waffle the highest messenger of Tootsie. Tootsie was a heroic and noble dog who had been traveling the world after being driven out of her home town by her older brother Skittle, who was a cat.

The two strangers smiled at each other once they were clear and realized just exactly who Waffle was. They realized that Waffle was just the dog that they had been seeking to find the noble Tootsie. The two strangers then spoke warm words of welcome to Waffle and greeted her properly.

Waffle was purely overjoyed when the two strangers who had introduced themselves as Rama and Lakshmana welcomed her. There was a sense of friendly comradery in the air after the proper greetings were exchanged and that was the moment that Waffle knew that Rama and Lakshmana were her allies. If the two could work together Tootsie might be able to win her home back over from Skittle.

Once Waffle was sure that Rama and Lakshmana were who they said they were she took her true form again, the form of a corgi. She was eager to lead them to Tootsie and for them to collaborate on a plan that would be beneficial to both parties.  After retaking her original shape Waffle set out to lead the two brothers through the woods to where Tootsie was hiding.

Authors Note
This story is a variation on the story of Sugriva and Hanuman found in Part C of the Ramayana. I thought that for this story it would be interesting to change Sugriva and Hanuman's characters to characters I had used in my previous weeks stories. Since Sugriva and Hanuman were both monkeys in the story I thought it would be interesting to change their animal form in my version of the story. With that said there were only two animals that popped into my mind when I was considering changing their animal form and that was the form of my two dogs Tootsie and Waffle. This allowed me to rewrite this story in a more modern style and allowed me to explore a more creative side of the story. I chose this story because it was a story of alliance and friendship, so I made sure to keep those incorporations into my story as well.

I read the PDE Ramayana by multiple authors, that was offered to us online.

Comments

  1. I love the names you used haha! I also love dogs so I was a little partial to the way you did this story. I like the cat named Skittles. You also kept some of the original names and the main story line. I think the personalities of the dogs really fit into this story line. Dogs can be standoffish when they first meet someone but also be so excited to see you. I love that about dogs. They act like you have been gone for months even if it’s only been five minutes. Your story does seem a little short thought so what if you add a little more to it not only for the word count but also to add a little more depth to the story. Overall I really enjoyed reading it. It is incredibly creative. Your authors note is also very informative and helped me understand what the original story was about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked your little twist on the Ramayana story. I thought it was fantastic that you recreated Sugriva and Hanuman as your dogs (and Vali as Skittle the cat). It made the story super enjoyable to read, knowing they were such adorable dogs! I’m kind of obsessed with Waffle. Also, I was just wondering: was there a reason why you wanted Waffle to shape shift to take a human form instead of Tootsie’s, and why did you have Rama and Lakshmana stay their own characters? What if you could make it more modern and personal by adding other people into the story? For instance, you could add yourself and/or your family members in the place of Rama and Lakshmana! You could also change up the plot a little bit, and add some real-life events of why Skittles took Tootsie’s home or why the humans were looking for Tootsie in the first place!

    ReplyDelete
  3. For the first part of the story I was a bit confused as to what the point of the story was. Reading Tootsie and Waffle a lot can kind of get distracting because it's hard for me to associate those names with characters. But after reading the author's note and the story again this twist on the story is cute and fun! I love that you're adding you're pets into your blog stories!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoyed reading this story! I liked that I read it after your introduction. I felt familiarized with your dogs(the characters). I liked how well the story fits Sugriva and Hanuman's story because your animals are all like siblings. I was thrown for a loop though, because I thought they would turn out to be Rama and Lakshmana. That was a cool unexpected twist for me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved this story! The idea of the dogs morphing into humans rather than humans turning into an animal was a great idea. I was not expecting the two people to be friendly. Once Tootsie revealed who she was I thought they were going to capture her or something. I was wondering if this was based off the movie Cats vs. Dogs, it shared a lot of similarity. Also, why did you decide to have the two people in the woods end up being friendly? Or is their warm welcome just a disguise? Are the two humans working for the cat brother or are they are on the dog’s side? Is it possible for the dogs to transform into something other than a human? I would have liked to see more transformations from Tootsie. I was excited to see conflict between the dog and cat. I guess I will have to come back and read to find out what happens next time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Maddie! I really liked your story!
    I love your creativity in making your dogs the characters, and transforming them into humans! Perfect way to make the story your own, but I also think you did a great job of keeping the message of the original story. I love in the midst of this ancient story with Rama and Lakshmana there are two pups named Waffle and Tootsie. Hehe. It sort of just makes the story seem sweet and cute. Awesome ideas, you told a great story.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This was a really cool adaption of this interaction. I love the way you utilize your dogs as stand ins for characters from the original epic. It makes for a sweet and enjoyable story that’s much more personalized to you and your interests. I also like that you did an excellent job of honing in on Waffle’s perspective. This was a pleasure to read. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts