Reading Notes: Wonder Stories Told for Children

The Money-Pig (Image Source).

This week I wanted to do some extra reading and thought the the title of the Wonder Stories Told for Children by Hans Christian Anderson sounded like an interesting choice. I did what I normally do and picked a story from within this book that stood out to me immediately. The story that I chose was The Money-Pig.

  • The first thing that drew me to reading The Money-Pig is the title. I obviously have stuck with a consistent animal theme throughout this semester so this was the obvious choice for me to go with another animal story. I also really just enjoy reading these different takes on animal stories.
  • My initial thought was that this story would have something to do with a piggy bank or a wealthy pig and turns out I was right, the story is centered on a piggy bank. The description and attention to detail throughout this story is fantastic. I really liked the style of writing that the author chose to go with. 
  • As a reader it was interesting to read a story that is kind of similar to Toy Story. All the toys in this room can speak and can think about things. I thought that this was an interesting way to set up that story. Providing the different toys with the right to speak and partake in dialogue brings the story to life. This is something that I have tried to do in my stories with my animals. It is always exciting to read about things that normally cannot partake in daily conversation talk in a story. 
  • The money-pig was the highest standard toy in the whole room. All of the other toys looked up to the money-pig and were always wondering what the money-pig was thinking of them. It is interesting to think about this theory because I think everyone has a sense of self worry or thinks about what other people are thinking about them at some point in their life. It is almost weird to read that even toys might worry that there is a toy of higher standard who is looking down on them. 

Comments

Popular Posts