Reading Notes: The Giant Crab and Other Tales from Old India

The story that I chose to read for part two of this week comes from The Giant Crab and Other Tales from Old India. I chose to read the Ox Who Envied the Pig for my second reading this week.

  • I love getting to read about the different animals and see how these old Indian tales incorporate the animals. Thus far the animals that have been super relevant and important have always proved to be the elephant. The elephant has been sacred in almost every animal story thus far. 
  • The deers that I read about yesterday were not sacred at all and were eaten by the king. 
  • This story was about two Oxen, one big brother and one little brother. I have yet to read any stories that have had to do with animal siblings so I was intrigued by this story. 
  • The Ox noticed that the pig who did nothing for the farm was eating better than they were even though they did all the hard work and really provided for the farm. 
  • How is that fair that one animal who does so little for the farm gets to eat so good but the hard workers get shorted on food. 
  • The older Oxen reminded his brother that the pig was being fattened up because the people were going to eat the pig. He was really not that lucky after all. 
  • The little brother Ox learned that the pig really was not better off and that he could live a lifetime on the boring food rather than eat the food of death like the pig did and end up on the dinner table. 
  • This was another dark story for what should be a children's book. I am not too sure where I will write from inspiration this week because I have not been too fond of either of the two stories I read. But I am sure I'll come up with something. 
    The Oxen Brothers (Image Source).

Comments

Popular Posts