Reading Notes: The Giant Crab and Other Tales from Old India


The Crow and Owls Debate (Image Source).

This week for my first reading I of course am sticking to my theme of animal stories! Raise your hand if you are shocked at all, because I am sure this was easily predicted. The story that I chose to read for part one of this weeks reading comes from The Giant Crab and Other Tales from Old India. The story that I read is Why The Owl Is Not King of the Birds.

  • Firstly I thought that story would be interesting because I have yet to read anything about birds and was very curious to see how they play into the tales from Old India. Elephants are sacred so I was excited to read about what birds were. 
  • The story noted that men, beasts and fish all have a king. But birds do not have anything that is like a king or some kind of bird who would be like a king. 
  • I liked how the birds all decided to elect a king because they did not like that they did not have one. They all discussed it and decided that the Owl should be the king of the birds. 
  • The crow was very very very against them electing the Owl as the king. He was not pleased with this suggestion and spoke up about it when all the birds were having their discussion. 
  • The Owl and the Crow both flew away from the discussion leaving the birds to elect the Turtle Dove as the king. 
  • This story was short, sweet and to the point. Those are all things that I strive for when I am writing a story. I think that there is quite a bit I could do with this story in regards to inspiring me to write my own story. I might write something about my animals electing an animal king of the Owen household.

Comments

Popular Posts