Reading Notes: The Giant Grab and Other Tales from Old India


The White Elephant and his friends (Image Source).

The story that I chose to read for part one of this week comes from The Giant Crab and Other Tales from Old India. I chose the King's White Elephant today, I have been sticking with the animal themes throughout all of my projects this semester.

  • I like how the elephant in this story is sweet and is looking for someone to help him. This is so different from the last story that I read where the elephant was aggressive and unwilling to help the humans. 
  • The elephant in this story felt as though he owed the humans help for them helping him be able to walk on all four feet again. 
  • I also loved how the adult elephant taught the baby elephant to respect the humans because they help them and feed them. The humans treat the elephants the best that they can so that they get help from the elephants in return. 
  • I don't like how the king took the pretty white baby elephant away from where he had grown up and took him away from all his friends, the children of the village. 
  • Even though the king took good care of this elephant and the story ended on a somewhat happy note, it still made me sad that he was taken away from where he had lived his whole life. 
  • This story is classic in my opinion and something that I can easily make more modern and updated if I chose to write my story over inspiration from this story. 
  • I am hoping that I find another story this week that I like two so I have the option to decide which one I like more. Keeping my options open helps me to keep my creativity flowing. 

Comments

Popular Posts